Monday, May 5, 2008

My Favorite Church Building




Saint Fidelis Church (The Cathedral of the Plains, Victoria, KS, 1908)

The towers rise 141' into the air--I love standing under them and looking up. When we go to Colorado, KT always lets me stop and spend some time there. I took a lot of pictures, so I'll probably put some of them up for you to enjoy. It is quite amazing to see such a presence in the middle of the plains. The church is 220' long and seats 1100 people. The structure stands in the form of a cross, so it is 110' wide at the transcepts and 75' at the nave. The stained glass windows are beautiful, so I took some photos of them, too. My stop in Victoria was the perfect thing to prepare me to listen to Brennan Manning when I got to Colorado.

(Enlarge the photo if you want to see the details of the altar which was cut and hand polished in Italy.)

No comments: