Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Lenten Journal ~ 2013

Celebrating Lent makes 40 days seem like a long time.  Maybe it is because I am not accustomed to concentrating on sacrifice.  I joked with KT that at the end of this 40 days I just may be perfect☺.  Of course, I was kidding, but I was overwhelmed with the task at hand.  I had decided to look at things in my life that I wish I could rid myself of.  I would think of 40 things to give up.  Now, this is not like giving up chocolate or soda for 40 days.  In fact, when I got half way through the 40 days, I looked at my Day 21 page and realized I had a big problem with "forgetting".  How I wish I could just give up each item one time and it was gone forever.  Day 21 seems to be what my Lenten season ~ 2013 is all about.

My mandala journal from Melanie is perfect for Lent.  Mandalas are for meditation; Lent is a time for reflection and spiritual housecleaning.  From what I have read, it takes a lot of discipline and prayer to overcome one habit and replace it with another.  I plan on embellishing this journal in the upcoming Lenten seasons.  It will be good for me to look at these things that impede my relationship to God/others and look to replacing them with better habits.
        "A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit."
                                                                      ~Erasmus
P.S.  As I look back on this 29th day of Lent, I have come to see why people give up one thing for Lent, not 40.  Perhaps I should have given up just one thing per Lenten season.  I know I have enough to keep me busy for 40 years of Lent.

1 comment:

Melanie-Pearl said...

I love these drawings, Mom. Can't believe I hadn't chked your blog for so long. I know You will love the MARI tool.